In order to practice Social Work in Prince Edward Island, you are required to become registered with the PEI Social Work Registration Board.
Only an individual who is registered with the Prince Edward Island Registration Board as defined under section 9 the Social Workers Act may represent himself or herself as a social worker in Prince Edward Island. Otherwise, it is an offence, subject to a fine not exceeding $500.00, to represent yourself as a social worker.
If you become registered you may use the designation “Registered Social Worker” and the initials “R.S.W.”
The registration is good for 1 year from April 1 to March 31.
Benefits of Registration
- The right to represent yourself as a social worker;
- The legal right to use the title Registered Social Worker and the initials R.S.W;
- The recognition that you are a responsible professional, capable of practicing within professional standards and accountable to the public;
- The opportunity to volunteer on committees consisting of some of the most experienced professionals in your field;
- Receipt of our Standards of Practice documents and Bulletin;
- Listing in the Private Practice Roster, if approved.
The qualification for registration is a bachelor’s degree in social work, a master’s degree in social work, or a doctoral degree in social work from a program acceptable to the Board.
- B.S.W., M.S.W., or Ph.D. in social work;
- A degree that is deemed to be equivalent (same content, different name);
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field and a combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities which is substantially equivalent to a social work degree
To become registered as a Social Worker in Prince Edward Island you must:
- Complete the application form;
- Pay the $180 processing and certificate fees;
- Arrange to have a transcript of your social work degree sent to the PEISWRB;
If you have a social work degree from Canada your degree must be accredited by the Canadian Association of Schools of Social Work (CASSW) and approved by the Board. If you have a social work degree from the U.S.A. your degree must be accredited by the Council of Social Work Education (CSWE) and approved by the Board.
Temporary Application Process
Where to send the application
The completed application form, along with any necessary accompanying documents and fees should be sent to:Registrar Social Work P.E.I. 81 Prince Street
Charlottetown, PE C1A 4R3
To renew your registration you will need to complete the renewal by clicking the Member Login at the top right corner of the page. The registration renewal fee is $180.00 before March 31 and $230 after April 1.
Application Form (PDF)
CanadaFind Out More: Canadians
Countries other than CanadaFind out more: International